Following two government inquiries, on 5 June 2018, the Minister for Planning and the Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation announced a whole-of-government framework for STRA in New South Wales.
Following this announcement, a Code of Conduct committee was convened by the Department of Customer Service (which includes Fair Trading). The Accommodation Association was the voice of accredited accommodation on this Committee.
On the 14 August 2019, the proposed STRA regulatory framework, inclusive of a draft Code of Conduct, was released for public consultation. As part of this consultation, feedback was sought by the 11 September 2019 on the:
1. State Environmental Planning Policy (Short Term Rental Accommodation) 2019;
2. Environmental Planning and Assessment (Short Term Rental Accommodation) Regulation 2019;
3. A draft Code of Conduct for the Short-Term Rental Accommodation Industry (the Code);
4. A draft Fair-Trading Amendment (Code of Conduct for Short-term Rental Accommodation Industry Regulation 2019 (the Amendment Regulation).
5. The consultation also sought feedback on the proposed introduction of an industry-led register of STRA premises.
Please find attached a copy of the Association’s submission to the NSW Government Short Term Rental Accommodation, New Regulatory Framework Discussion Paper.